Monday, April 15, 2013

This is the world we live in.

I worked from home today because the power went out at my office building about 30 minutes before I got there. I work on the 6th floor so I waited in the lobby for direction because I didn't want to walk up six flights of stairs to be told to go home and have to walk back down - in heels. It was already getting hot according to a coworker I saw on my way in. She had been up there and was headed home. So home I went and sat and watched TV and worked on my laptop.

The first "Breaking News" story was about a high speed chase in Dallas. Apparently this guy shot a killed a pregnant woman. She and the baby died at the hospital. I sat in shock as this car weaved in and out of traffic, just praying they didn't hit anyone....and they didn't. They as in there were two people in the car. We found this out when the car ended up back in the same neighborhood it came out of and someone jumped out of the car and went one direction and the driver jumped out and ran into a house. The news quit reporting on it per the police request and I still don't know how that ended....because someone set off two bombs at the Boston Marathon.

Then I go to Facebook and it's just a constant flow of information about the explosions from pages I follow all the while I have the news on. I am drained and am hoping Dancing with the Stars comes on at 7:00. These are the days I hate Facebook and think about deleting my account for a while. If it's not the election, or gay rights and marriage equality, it's an atheist friend wanting to start an argument over God. Yes, I could hide him or I could just not go on Facebook but I don't have the discipline to stop. Sad, but true. I keep in touch with a lot of people through Facebook and I like to stalk - always wishing for that train wreck to happen today. I certainly wouldn't want to miss that!

I've been pretty good about staying out of arguments and if the rebuttals to the status updates gets too big, I will hide them from my news feed. It's social media. This is the world we live in. There are bad people, there always have been. They do bad things and it will most likely always turn into something political. We have a black president for the second term in a row. I see people saying that this is his chance to make things right. These are the SUPER right winged Texans I'm talking about. Of course they hate him just for the fact that he's black and democratic. And it makes me feel embarrassed for my birth state. It's the same with marriage equality and any other horrible act like the shootings in Connecticut. This is our world. I'm sorry it's like this but this is the world we live in. Have I said that yet? 

I'm not saying lay down and take it and of course you can voice your opinion, but know that it's just that - an opinion. There's a saying that goes, "Opinions are like buttholes....everyone has one." Don't expect us to all agree with you. If you're going to put it out there, take the criticism. My atheist friend is a good example of someone who can do that. He can debate like no one I've ever seen. I like that. But he also knows exactly where I stand and I don't debate so I won't argue with him. I just respect his opinion.

I do wish the world was a better place, but, as I remind myself often, Adam and Eve ate the apple (I won't point blame, lol) and therefore, we have evil in the world. It's just getting worse.

Let's all remember what Mr. Rogers' mother told him so many years ago. "You will always find people who are helping."
Pin It!

No comments: