Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Spring Cleaning and Pinterest

 

Hi. My name is Kathy and I have OCD. I have an obsession with keeping things and then throwing massive amounts of things away - really giving them to the Good Will, but getting them out of my house. I believe this is due to the amount of things my parents kept during my childhood. It always bothered me that they had so much stuff that they had to build shelves out in our two car garage and fill said shelves with boxes upon boxes of things. My mother once told me that she knew there were boxes in her garage from 1967 (the year I was born) and that she had no idea what was in them.

During my upbringing, my mom didn't intentionally keep anything of mine, i.e. baby clothes, toys, until I was able to realize that I should do that myself. I do still have a baby doll I got for Christmas one year that has velvet soft skin (a bit worn away now) and my Donna the Bear that I've written about before. I have several other things that I have been able to part with recently and will continue to get past the memory and be able to give away soon. I'm going to move at the end of the year, so this really isn't an option. I don't want to take all this stuff with me. I just don't know what to do with a lot of it. I refuse to have a storage locker or use an attic. If I can't keep it in the house in the closets, I don't need it. I would LOVE to live in an RV or something where you really have to minimize your crap.

When I divorced the ex, my daughter told me in no uncertain terms NOT to throw anything away that had to do with my marriage. I managed to keep all pictures, trinkets, etc. until November of last year. I decided it was time to give her all this stuff or throw it out. It had been nine years and it was just taking up space in my closet. When she came to get it, I told her, "I don't care what you do with any of this, just don't throw pictures away. And, I'd like you to keep my wedding shoes and wear them at your wedding." I bought them in Paris in 1985 with the intention of them being my wedding shoes. I borrowed my dress so that's all I have - that and my veil. (I did ask the boys and they didn't want anything.)

Now I'm looking at moving again and don't want to move things I know I don't need or want. A lot of what I have has been saved for my kids. I'm so glad that they are now at the age where I can say, "Do you want this or that?" and be happy that they have the option I didn't have. I also have things from my Maye Maye that I've slowly been able to part with and there is stuff under my bed that belongs to my brother. He's supposed to be here this Fall and is going to go through, take and trash it all. It's a must because I don't want to move that either. Nine years ago, I went from a 2,600 square foot house to a 1,600 square foot duplex to now a 1,000ish square foot apartment. I don't know if I'm going to move to a bigger or smaller place but I certainly don't want to fill it up wherever I end up.

So now it's Spring (almost) and I'm getting the bug to clean out everything. BUT - I'm obsessed with Pinterest. It is VERY addictive if you have OCD or really any obsession of anything. I don't think there isn't anything you can find on that site. Want to follow me (<
Anyway - here's to hoping the weather is perfect this weekend and I get done what I need to get done!
Pin It!

No comments: