Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Where is the Maturity?

Why are we such an immature society now? Wasn't there a time when we didn't think and act like a child past the age of oh, say, 12? Ok, maybe 18, but really....Once we get into the "adulthood" of our lives, shouldn't there be some part of us that starts to think like an adult? I just wonder what has happened to the idea of bringing up adult children?

Me at the age of 15.
The majority of the people I am around on a daily basis are under the age of about 35. Now, I am only 44, so it really doesn't seem like that big of a deal. But, OH what a difference a decade makes. I am raising teenagers, I get that. There are many days that I feel like I am in a sorority every time I leave the house Monday thru Friday. Oh, and I didn't get accepted in the group. I am obviously the outsider.

Looking out at the world through friends, Facebook, the church I have attended, it just feels like it's really, truly become a Me, Me, Me world and it really makes me sick. It's not what I want my children to learn. They should be people who give back to others, not want and expect everything to be given to them.

I remember a couple of years ago, I said to some of my friends how I wanted the kids and I to go feed the homeless for Christmas. They said to me, "If my mom had done that to me when I was there age I would have been so pissed!" I want to believe I've raised better kids than that. They definitely know they done want for anything. They do know that they are very lucky to have two parents who love them. We may be divorced, but we would both do anything for them. Would they be ok with feeding the homeless on Christmas? I don't know, but I would hope they could appreciate that.

Dear God in heaven, help us figure out a way to overcome this selfishness and think of others over ourselves.
Pin It!

No comments: