Friday, November 25, 2011

What are YOU thankful for?

This is my family for whom I am very thankful!
Thanksgiving 2011

This year, Thanksgiving was a really nice experience for our family. It was just me and the kids and a friend of my daughters. Last year, I proposed to the ex that, since the kids were getting older and the whole "my Thanksgiving, your Christmas" thing was kinda going out the window, we should come to an agreement on how to split the holidays so that they aren't torn between the homes anymore. I have the kids on Thanksgiving for lunch and then they go to their grandparent's house with their dad for dinner. At Christmas, they spend Christmas Eve with their dad and Christmas Day with me. We will see if that works out this year, but so far it's been good.

I wasn't really feeling the holidays this year. I was glad to have the time off work to sleep in and just do what I wanted, but as for the celebration of whatever, I wasn't feeling it. But, when I woke up on Thanksgiving morning and I knew my house was overflowing with kids, I felt so full in my heart. There is nothing more that I love than to be a mom, having my kids around me just makes me feel complete. I look forward to the day that there are even more at my table - partner, friends and grandbabies. The conversation is so nice and easy. No tension. We all get along and can tease and play around and enjoy just being together. It's a nice place to be.

This made me think of something that was going around on Facebook. It was a cheesy thing about telling something you are thankful for every day in the month of November. Not many of my friends participated, but I have to say, some of them were really digging when it came to what they were thankful for. (Sorry if you participated and are now offended by my comments.) Then there were the ones who skipped a few days and then made up for it. Really?? I am thankful for a lot but I don't feel thankful every day, just being honest. Everyone is thankful for the same thing, kids, husband/wife, mom/dad, house, Jesus, etc. etc. I would have liked to see something original but, that's what that was intended for, I don't think.

Shouldn't we just be thankful for whatever we are going through in our lives, good or bad, because it makes us who we are? It makes us stronger and wiser and better - if we learn from it, whatever "it" is.
Pin It!

No comments: