Friday, October 21, 2011

Sur la Table and Learning to Cook



Team building time - we decided on a cooking class. There are 11 of us in the office in Dallas and three in the McLean office. A cooking class was the best idea ever. Sur la Table in Dallas is down near SMU on Travis Street. If you are ever in Dallas and want to do something very fun, go there. They have prescheduled cooking classes several nights of the week. Check it out online. It's not cheap but VERY worth it.


Chef Ed
Chef Ed was our chef for the afternoon. We had a private class from 4-7 on a Thursday night. They don't have alcohol for you but you can bring it. So, a few of us brought bottles of wine to enoy while we cooked. The mean for the night was "Handmade Pasta Party" and a party it was. I have to say that the group of people I work with are really a ton of fun. The first thing we did was learn how to make pasta dough. It's really just flour and egg and you mix it together and let it rise. I don't know, I have the receipe and I want to try it. Next, you take it in small balls and run it through the machine that flattens the pasta. In the picture there, Ed is using the electric one. Then we ran it back through to cut it into slices. I need one of those machines if I'm ever going to make pasta the correct way. Ok, well that may never happen, but at least I know how to do it if I ever get the hand cranked one. I used the nonelectric one and I did just fine.
We made bruchietta for an appetizer and then two pasta dishes. Ed had made Bolognese for us and that was my very favorite. That is one dish I am going to make this Fall for the kids one Sunday. I want to put pictures up but doing that is just frustrating me right now. Trust me, the meal was delicious. Fetticine with white clam sauce was amazing, Tagliatelle with Asparagus and Fettuccine with Tomato-Vodka Sauce is to die for. And....they were all easy to make. I suppose, for now, I will rely on the fresh pasta I can get at the grocery story. Maybe one day I will decide I need a pasta making machine.
Pin It!

No comments: