Sunday, October 16, 2011

My Final Marching Season For A While


It dawned on me the other day that I am about to go to my final marching competition until possibly 2014. That is if I encourage Jonathan to be in band at Bell. We will see how the next two years go. Things have really changed over the last six years and I'm not all that happy about it. It's not a subject I can really rant on openly on my blog because it might compromise the integrity of the band. Therefore, I will not mention names but I will elude to what I am talking about and you can figure it out on your own.

I have always been so proud of the fact that my kids are going to the same high school that I went to. They have all been in the band. Watching the evolution of that program was something that I just thrived on in the Fall. Since the last band director left, the program has kept it's integrity, but it seems that the intensity of the program has been compromised. For example, there NEVER would have been a Saturday during the marching season when there was not some form of practice going on. There was one this year. It showed in the competitions that followed.

Realizing that marching is a very political thing when it comes to the judges that judge these competitions, there is a school in our region that I have had enough of. They are showy and loud and obnoxious. They march, stop, play, take up the field with really stupid and obnoxious props and the thing that gets me the most is that their band director stands just off the field during their performance and literally directs!!!! REALLY??? I actually heard another director yelling to the kids on the field what they were supposed to do DURING the competition. If those kids can't do it on their own what are you doing there? Isn't it about teaching them and getting them to the point where they can do it on their own, walking off and letting them compete? At least that's what I was always taught.

We had our time in the spotlight. Now is their time. I just hope that, by the time Jonathan has to make the decision about what to do about high school band, they have gone back done the list and we have gone back up. I know that there are bands out there that never win. I realize that I, as a parent, have been spoiled. I understand that getting 2nd place out of 30+ bands is nothing to gawk out. The thing is we have the best, most mature shows, every year. Why is it that all anyone wants to see are props and musicals? Ugh. I just don't get it.
Pin It!

No comments: