Wednesday, July 6, 2011

June into July

The end of June, 2011 was amazingly crazy with travel and stuff. Michale and  his band Mouth of the South went on a journey to Illinois to play at the Cornerstone Festival for the second year in a row. He is more distant right now than he has ever been, but he knew I was praying for safe travels so that's all that matters. Alyssa was taking a road trip with her friend, Marissa, to Pennsylvania. Marissa's dad and stepmother live there and I guess she normally flies but since they are 18 and out of high school a road trip sounded better. They are coming home today and Alyssa sounds tired but I know they had a wonderful time. What a great adventure! I would have never thought about going out of state at that age. It was all I could do to go to Galveston at 18.

Benjamin had surgery for his deviated septum on June 27th. All went well and his text to everyone was "This is life changing." Who knew being able to breathe through your nose wasn't something everyone could do! Jonathan spent several days with Grandy and Grampa (my stepmom and dad) while I went to Utah for a company team meeting. They went to Legoland and made raisins, among a lot of other things. Jonathan was definitely kept very busy and had a wonderful time being special. Then I went to Utah and Iowa all in the span of seven days. I think I saw more of the US in those seven days than I had my whole life. Not really, but it sure felt like it.


So Utah - this was for our Annual Global Customer Marketing team. We are spread all over the world, literally, so it's our one time a year to come together and see each other face to face. We stayed at the Waldorf Astoria Park City hotel and spent a lot of time at the Utah Olympic Park for various activities. Hilton is a big USOC sponsor so we tend to focus on that during these trips. The first night there we saw the Flying Ace All-Star show. The skiers mingled with our group before performing and then afterwards took pictures with us. That was one definite must see if you are ever in the area.



The next day we had meetings in the morning and then did the ATV tour that afternoon. That has to be the most fun I've had in a long time. I decided I need an ATV that comes with a mountain because I'm sure it's just not as fun without the mountain. The view was beautiful and incredibly dirty but SO fun! Wednesday was a rainy day so it put a damper on our plans to do all of the Olympic Gold package which was the bobsled, two ziplines and an alpine slide. We did end up doing the bobsled and, while I'm really glad I did it, I would never do it again. It was just way too rough. I think we got up to close to 70 mph in about 60 seconds. Yeah....
















So there is a new man in my life. He's not new to me at all but he's new to everyone around me. His name is Jeff McKim. We met in February of 2004. Without going into great detail, we had a connection that just never took off. We remainded friends all this time. In May of 2009, Jeff had a stroke that left him in a coma for six weeks. The doctors didn't think he would live but he did. I tell him all the time, God saved his life so that we could finally be together. I didn't know about the stroke until about a year or more later. He found me on Facebook when he was in rehab. I went to see him once and it honestly just broke my heart. To see this 6'2" man who used to be so strong and alive having a hard time walking and talking was apparently something I wasn't able to handle right then. I hate admitting that, but it's true. Then, this past February my friend asked me if I had heard from him. I decided to see what he was doing. When I looked at his Facebook it said he lived in Grinnell, Iowa. I knew that was where he was from so I immediately emailed him. He said he had moved there in January to be closer to his parents. He was still in rehab but his stepdad wasn't doing well so he wanted to be close to help his mom and dad out.

Over the last four months, there have been endless hours spent on Skype and the phone, a couple of visits to Iowa and one back to Texas, but it wasn't long at all before we both just came clean about our feelings for each other. I can't tell you in words how wonderfully peaceful it feels to have someone love you unconditionally and to be able to love him back the exact same way. I have never felt this love. I knew it existed and I knew I wanted it but I didn't think it was for me. I didn't believe that I deserved it. But I do. I know that now. I can say, for the first time in my life, I feel like things are pretty perfect. I have my kids, my parents and now a man that truly loves me in spite of myself.

Beryl, Jeff and Deena - my family addition

Pin It!

No comments: