Thursday, July 21, 2011

Books, Reading and Emotions


When I have a chance, I love to read. I love to find an author that I can get into, read the whole serious and long for more. It's been a while since that's happened. But, there are woman at work who are passing around all the Jodi Picoult books. I've read one so far (Mercy) and am on my second one (House Rules). For some reason, this book has caused me all kinds of emotional mix up. Basically, it's about a boy, Jacob, who has Asperger's Syndrome. His single mother and younger brother are all he has and their whole world is wrapped up in taking care of him. There is a murder in their small town where they already don't fit in and now he's the suspect because the victim is his social interaction therapist.

It took about three chapters into the book for me to go, "Oh, this is getting really good." I spend my lunch hours reading and then last night, I sat on the couch for over two hours reading. Poor Jeff. He thought, for a little bit, that he had to sit with me with the TV off. I finally said,"You can watch TV. It doesn't bother me." It's that good. I am really just overcome with emotion for what it would be like to be them. Why does this happen to me?  There was also a little Facebook drama that happened yesterday that probably didn't help. And I've been going through some major changes personally, so maybe it's just a culmination of everything put together and it's just coming out this way.

Either way, I do like the way Jodi P writes. I would definitely read her stuff. It's a pretty easy read. The books are thick so I can't get through them in a night like I would like, but it's all worth it. It's just nice to take time to sit and read. I think it's good for the soul. I hope to spend time sitting poolside this weekend reading....if I don't die of heat stroke because it's day 19 or over 100 degree weather here in the wonderful state of Texas. Love you all!
Pin It!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your blog. Love summer reading,too! When I was a girl visiting my aunt and uncle they took us to the library. Posted FB this morning about reading. Love you. Lene