Monday, November 22, 2010

On Being Thankful

It is the start of the Thanksgiving holiday. I haven't written on here in over two months. I thought today I should write about what I am thankful for. My day hasn't been all that great and I think I need an attitude change or possibly a change of focus. When I feel the way I feel today, it makes me focus on negative things and I really need to retreat with my thoughts and look at all the blessings I have. So here is what I'm thankful for:

My kids are my family. They are my life. Without them I can't imagine where I would be today or what in the heck I would be doing with my life. I have a handsome 19 year old son who has begun the pilgrimage out of my home into his own life. He lives in Forney now and plays in a christian rock band. He has been called into ministry, however that is done for him, and he loves life. After him is my beautiful 17 year old daughter. She makes me so proud because of the woman that she is becoming. She is in National Honor Society and International Baccalaureate at school. She will graduate with honors May 2011. Next is my wonderful 16 year old son who is so talented and smart it just floors me. He is also in International Baccalaureate and will join National Honor Society at the end of this school year. His talent for music and his trombone is a gift that he truly has a passion for. And finally, there is my sweet 11 year old son - a surprise and such a blessing to everyone who knows him. His zest for life is something to behold. His imagination is beyond anything I have seen from his siblings. He has a passion for discovery and I can't wait to see what is in store for his future. Next year he will start a whole new chapter in his life when he goes to Jr. high school.

As I live my life, I see my children growing up and breaking away from my wings - moving on to have their own lives and becoming their own person. They don't tell you how this will make you feel in all the baby books. They don't talk about it much because it's too scary. I believe, if parents knew how it would feel to have to let your sweet baby go one day they just might think twice before having children. If I had been given the chance to feel what I feel right now - the pride and the pain - would it have helped me decide to have children for the pride or helped me decide not to take the chance and endure the pain of letting go?

Through all of the heartache, through all of the pains of birth, through all of the ups and downs of watching them grow up, I would give my life for any one of my kids. I would go through it all over again just to know that I have the gift of being a mom to these four wonderful people.

For them -

I am thankful
Pin It!

1 comment:

Caroline said...

This was beautiful, Kathy;)