Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Even though you live here.....

...doesn't mean you've seen all the attractions. I was born at Baylor Hospital in Dallas on July 27, 1967, about four and a half years after President Kennedy came through on his motorcade and was shot in the back of the head and killed. Sorry, it's true. It's what happened. This past weekend was my first time to actually go down there and see the place where it happened and go to the Sixth Floor Museum where Oswald supposedly camped out and shot from the window with his sniper rifle.

That's it on the right there. Check out the window on the far right - up six floors. That's where he was - supposedly. Now, I believe it was him. I believe he was there. But I will admit, the conspirators were pretty convincing.

The day was perfect. My company was a very sweet guy I have come to really enjoy being around. And yes, I actually like walking around if there is something to look at. We took the TRE from a station close to the house to the Union Station in Dallas just blocks from Dealey Plaza. At first, there weren't too many people around, but by the time we left the museum it was pretty much packed. I found it interesting how people would go stand in the middle of the road by the "X" where Kennedy was shot just to get a picture - no mind that they were about to get mowed over by a coming car. (see photo to your left)

Inside the museum you were given headphones to listen to as you walked around the displays explaining in great detail every single step that was taken on that fateful trip to Dallas. I just kept thinking about how my mom was working in Dallas that day. She has a picture she took as the motorcade drove past her office building. She was working for Blue Cross/Blue Shield and they let everyone step away from their desks to go outside and see them as they drove by. When people started talking about it later, much later, wanting to start the Sixth Floor Museum, I remember my mom would always go to public meetings they were having. She was very fascinated with all the talk. She was there that day. I would have done the same thing.

There is something else I want to do down there and hopefully one day I will....go spend a night at the Hotel Lawrence. It's supposedly haunted. I love haunted.....I think.

Pin It!

No comments: