Saturday, September 4, 2010

Colorado Springs and the USOC

With my job, I don't get to travel as much as I once thought I was going to. i have gone to a few places I wouldn't have gone to though, and that's always nice. This summer, our entire department was taken to Colorado Spring, CO, and visited the USOC and some past and future Olympic athelets. I didn't know what to expect having never been there. A few of the people in our group had been and told lots of great stories so I was excited about going. Heck, I was just excited about going anywhere outside of the state of Texas and on someone else's dime.

We landed on Monday, June 21. Some people went early to get in a weekend before the meeting so they were there to greet us at the hotel. i am just always amazed at the beauty of mountains. I had been to CS a very long time ago in a past life. I knew this time would be much more fun with much bettter memories. There always seems to be that rush to your room because you get there moments before there is a meet and greet. This department as a whole has only been together a year and we had people from all over, Texas, Virginia, Memphis, Singapore and the UK, all together in one room for one purpose - to be a team and see how we could work better together.

Prior to the meeting, we took a test online call the Myers-Briggs Indicator. This is something that I find very interesting. It will basically tell you how your brain works, your strengths and your weaknesses and how those around you work. I was not very surprised at all at the outcome of my answers. The first afternoon, we spent going over the results and learning about ourselves and those around us. For your information, I am ISFJ at work but ESFP at home. I have dual rolls so I react to these circumstances differently.

That evening we were shuttled to the USOC for a small tour of the campus, dinner, meeting a few athletes and then the passing of the torch and lighting of the cauldron. This was actually really cool as we all got to touch and pass the actual torch that the olympians use when they are running to light the cauldron. There was a photograher following us around the whole time and now we have a video of us holding and pass the torch. Pretty cool.

The next day was the only full day we were spending in Colorado so it was definitely full of fun, fun.....meetings. Yes. It's necessary to go over all those statistics about our department and what we can do better. Luckily, it was broken up with another trip to the USOC, cute athletes and a trip to Garden of the Gods. The weather, unlike Texas, was just perfect during the day and a little chilly at night. We did a lot of walking around and exploring and taking pictures. Just being outside in the mountains is not something we do ever in Texas, so we took full advantage of the opportunity! That night we had a wonderful dinner at the country club near there and saw an Indian family perform their dances. It was really nice.

People kept talking about the altitude change and how it can affect you. I didn't feel it except at night when I tried to lay down to sleep. I didn't sleep well either night because it felt like I could breathe very deep. I realized later, well the next day to be exact, that I was experiencing some altitude sickness and was very ready to get home. Thankfully we just had a brief morning meeting and then we were taken to the airport to meet our 3:00 flight back to Texas. I could have stayed longer, but short is always nice too. Living out of a suitcase is not something I would ever want to do on a regular basis.

There are two places that I would live in this universe, other than Texas - Colorado Springs and Amsterdam. For now, I will be staying in Texas, but I would love to have a second home one day.
Pin It!

No comments: