Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Amsterdam came to Texas

One big happy group


This past weekend was definitely the busiest weekend I have had in a long time. Andy and Fred came in on Friday afternoon from Amsterdam and were here until Monday morning when they left for Washington DC. We all met at their hotel in Southlake Friday night and went to dinner at Buca de Beppo. I had already decided what we were going to order because it's served family style and there were eight of us and over half of the group was mine (LOL). It turned out that we had plenty of food and leftovers.


One of the best parts of having Andy and Fred in is when it's gift giving time! They always bring great goodies to us. The kids got t-shirts and stroopwafels. (We all got our own box of these.) Mom got a nice candy dish with licorice to put in there and I got a coffe mug that I took to work so I can learn Dutch while I drink. I also got a cute music box thing that plays "Tulips of Amsterdam". Mom and I also got our own copy of a magazine that published an article written by Andy. There was a lot of candy, too.


Dinner on Friday night

Saturday, while they were visiting with an old high school friend, I was running around getting things for the kids because they were leaving Sunday for a mission trip to San Antonio for seven days. I had been sweating all day long because the humidity was horrible. I was almost ready when they got to my house to pick me up for dinner with other high school friends at Pappadeaux’s. We stopped quickly by mom’s house so they could see her cute new apartment and then it was off to meet friends.

(This is a staged picture of Andy blowing out his birthday candle. Saturday was his birthday.)

The group was a nice mix of people that I don’t usually see at these functions. There was a little bit of pre-drama to the event, but all in all, it went very well and we stayed way longer than anyone expected. It’s always interesting to me to see how people change and how some just do not. It makes me wonder what people think about me. After the evening was over, I was so exhausted but still had to go home and finish getting things together, making sure that everyone had what they needed for the week.

Sunday was church and sending the kids off to San Antonio – but more about that later. Then lunch with my dad, Lene, Uncle Mac and Aunt Ema, and Aunt Mary so Andy and Fred could visit with them, too. I didn’t have to be there, but I wanted to take mom and of course, never pass up a chance to see my extended family. You just never know when you won’t have the chance again. I think that went very well. Fred isn’t much of a talker but he mingled well with Uncle Mac and Aunt Ema. He is such a sweet guy. In these settings, I have noticed he does a great job of just sitting back, letting Andy engage in conversation with his friends and family. He will talk if you bring up conversation but it seems he is good with just sitting back and listening.

(Group shot)

After a nice respite at home, I met Andy and Fred at the hotel for a final dinner, just the three of us, at my request. We had Sushi – a LOT of Sushi and a great time just talking and laughing. It is now Wednesday and I just now feel like I am recovering from all of the parties. It was very worth it. Andy is coming back in October and I hope to make it a less busy but fun-filled time together. I have definitely missed them both but I talk to Andy so much on the phone that it doesn't feel like I have been away from him for any length of time at all.
Pin It!

No comments: