Wednesday, June 9, 2010

All Sorts of Excitement


If anyone ever told me of all the different paths I would take in my life, I might have had second thoughts about a lot of stuff. But thankfully I haven't had an option (or one that was really told to me - or maybe I just didn't listen).

When I was a little girl, I never thought much about getting married although I did think a lot about having children. I just knew that getting married sorta came along with the children so I was ok with that. I didn't have the best example of what a good marriage was but I also didn't think about it much until I was a teenager. It is what is it and I am a better person for where I am now. I just want to be a better example for my kids.

Once the kids came along, I could never seem to see past the age of the oldest child. I am still this way. Michael is 19 and I can't see past any of the other kids being any older than 19. I think it's a protection mechanism that God gives mothers. If we knew what the future would hold we would all NOT have kids or keep them so guarded and protected that they wouldn't even be any good to anyone.

2010 is proving to bring so many changes to our house and it's not even half way through the year yet. I had to move my mom out of her house and into an apartment near me. The situation with her house had become such that she needed a place to start over - by herself except that me and the kids are just a couple of steps away. When we moved in November I was thinking that would be it for a LONG time - until my Mr. Almost Right came along to move me with movers and packers and all that fun stuff. Hahahaha Anyway, mom is happy and getting settled in her new home and really enjoys that we are just around the corner.

Michael was asked about a month ago to be the lead guitar player for a band call Mouth of the South. They are a christian progressive heavy metal band. I am so happy for him because I know this is something he would love doing. By the way, I found this out on Mother's Day.....He has been in a few concerts and will play in Austin, TX tonight at The Garage @ Gateway Church. As a mom, it's a bit scary to think of your child going on with several other "boys" to go play in a band. Yes they are all adults and yes they are good kids, but I am still his mom and I still worry.

This Sunday, Michael, Alyssa and Benjamin will be going on a mission trip with the church to San Antonio to help with a Methodist church or two down there. I don't know everything they will be doing but I am very excited for all of them. It's an opportunity to do some community service work for people who are not as fortunate as us. While we do not have a lot, my kids want for nothing - EVER. They have never missed a meal because we didn't have food. They have never not had a bed to sleep in. They have always had two parents who loved them and a host of grandparents, aunts and uncles who would give their life for them. They people they will be ministering to may not be able to say that. I just pray that all of the kids and adults that are going will be blessed beyond measure and will return home with amazingly wonderful, life changing stories.
Pin It!

No comments: