Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas Day Events


Our first Christmas in our new home. This is a picture of the tree with the presents around it. It's not like when they were little and got lots of little inexpensive gifts that made these huge piles of unopened toys. This year was much more simple and more about needs than wants.

If you ask my kids, "What do you want for Christmas?" the typical answer will be, "I don't really know." I would like to think that they have everything they could ever need or that they just aren't really all that concerned about getting anything inparticular. This year, Ben definitely needed a new case for his trombone. We didn't want to get just any case, though. He needed what is called a gig bag. It's more padded than a typical case and it has a shoulder strap so it's easier to carry. I had to sneak it out very early that morning because it's not easy to disguise a case as you can see from the picture. He was the first one ready to open gifts once he woke up and saw it under the tree. Jonathan, of course, "needed" more legos - so he got a good portion of what Toys R Us had on sale. It was the highlight of his day.

Michael and Alyssa never expressed a need for anything specific so I came up with something for each of them on my own. Back around Granduation, Michael and I were at the bookstore. I believe he was looking for a bible. He was this Chronological study bible and seemed very interested in it. I intended to get it for him for graduation but then he wanted other things. Since then, he has decided to go into ministry, so I thought this would be a perfect gift for him. Everyone who studys the bible needs a good study bible. He liked it and I hope one day he will appreciate it. He will also get a trip to the local Sushi bar to have dinner with me next week.

For Alyssa, it was an ever evolving idea as to what I would get her. I was thinking jewelry - a ring maybe. Then, on Christmas Eve I was out getting some last minute things and the idea came to me. She used to have her tragus (the nub that sticks out over the hole of your ear) pierced until an unfortunant event happened and I had her take it out. Since then, she has been wanting to get it repierced. She also has her cartilage on her left ear pierced and really needed a new earring. I found these inexpensive sterling earrings and a really nice sterling ring that says "One Life One Love" which is my hope for her. Then I wrote her a note telling her that I would take her to get her tragus repierced. She was more than thrilled!

The snow had frozen into ice overnight and someone needed to get out and get mom and bring her over to the house for lunch. Michael left early to get Ashleigh so they could exchange gifts, so I sent him to get Nana. Overall, it was a very fun and relaxing Christmas for us. We didn't have the usual turkey. I made a brisket instead. We don't have a dining table, so I pulled out the card table and piano bench. We made due with what we had and it was fun. I got the new John Mayer CD and some nice things from Bath and Body Works, which is my favorite!

I look forward to the future when there are families running around and lots more people flooding my house to celebrate just being together. That is what I want for Christmas.
Pin It!

No comments: