Thursday, November 12, 2009

Sorry for the Delay Folks

This has been a really crazy last two weeks. We got moved on the 7th. It was a good move, but I left a few things in the garage thinking I would be given an opportunity to come back and get them since I was going out of town four days later. That has turned into more than I thought it would, but it is all getting worked out today.

Getting important things unpacked and put away was the most important thing on the agenda. Saturday night, the night we moved in, I finally decided it would be good to start a load of laundry. As I get the laundry in and turn on the washer, it makes a funny noise. I stop it, make sure the water is turned on, and pull the knob to start it again. We have water and it’s coming out cold – which means that the pipes were hooked up right. Then…I look down at the floor and see water running out from under the washing machine. This sends me into a panic, grabbing towels from the dirty laundry and turning off the washer and water pipes from the wall.

This is the point where I am so thankful to have maintenance again. I call the emergency maintenance line for the apartments and tell them what has happened. They are going to send someone out as soon as possible. It wasn’t 10 minutes later that John, the on property maintenance guy, shows up, wrench in hand and goes right in and checks out the situation. He determines that there is a problem with the pipes in the wall. (This would explain why Alyssa’s carpet was wet in her room the day before. We were thinking it was just because they had probably cleaned the carpets that day and it would be dry on Saturday. No, it wasn’t. It was still just as wet as the day before.)

The rest of my night was spent dealing with carpet people coming in, tearing out padding in the hall and in Alyssa’s room (where she was desperately trying to get her things set up before she went to bed) and trying to figure out what I was going to do about the laundry now. The good thing was that my dryer seemed to be working again. The issue I was having at the house was what I thought it was – lent in the wall where it goes out into the garage.

Two days later, I noticed that the floor in my laundry room was still wet and water was seeping up from between the hardwood floors (thank goodness they aren’t real hardwood). So, again, I have to call afterhours maintenance because I don’t notice this until the office is closed. Meanwhile, Alyssa and I are trying to do laundry at the laundry room across the way. Luckily, it’s not far at all and we get everything done by the end of the night. John comes back over, takes a look and decides he needs to repack the pipes and cut a hole in the wall so that it can completely air out. It’s gonna get better. It has to.
Pin It!

1 comment:

Andy said...

Welcome to your new home. A rocky start with the washing machine, but you'll like the neighbors better.