Sunday, November 22, 2009

Laundry and the Gecko


Pastor Jeff preached on "Living a Thankful Life" this morning at church. I am pretty sure this sermon came from the fact that next week is Thanksgiving but more so the fact that two weeks ago, in the middle of church, he passed out and had to be taken to the hospital. He found out he has coronary heart disease. He is very thankful to be alive. This got me thinking about people I know who don't seem to get the idea of being thankful. Then, after church today, I went to the laundry room at the apartment to do laundry and saw this little gecko struggling to get up the window...which made me think.

We are all given one life to live. This is it. You get one shot. Make it good. Enjoy it in the best way possible. We all have trials, ups and downs, whatever you want to call it. Just like this Gecko, who was just trying to get up the wall, our path may seem impossible at first. When I initially got to the laundry room, I noticed the Gecko was on the window. He would always get to a certain point and then fall. I saw him try over and over, continuing to try to make it up the window. I left and came back to put clothes in the dryer and noticed he was now on the wall. He had changed his position, but his path was the same. He wanted to get the to the top.

In life, I think we would all agree that the path we initially were on, the one we thought was going to get us to the top, was changed - with and/or without our concent. It can hit us blindly or we knowing change it on our own, maybe not really fully knowing what the path will be like or where it leads but we want it to have the same ending as the initial path. How many of us turn around and go back, just like Mr. Gecko here? He actually did a u-turn after I took his picture but it helps in my story.


My point is, be thankful for what you have. You could be a Gecko on the laundry room wall, but if you are reading this, you are not a Gecko, you are a person who was created by God for a purpose. What is your purpose? No matter what has happened to you in the past, it needs to stay in the past. Focus on what your future holds and how many people who can infect with joy and happiness every single day. Now, let's be honest. There are days when there is little joy. Don't linger in those days. No one likes a "pitty pot".

You never know when your last day will be. Make sure you tell those you love just how much you love them. Be thankful for what you have, even if it's not exactly where you would like to be, it's where you are and this is what you have. Remember: you could be a Gecko.
Pin It!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Infect with joy and happiness - well said! What a great thought that we would put some good thing into someone's life and that it takes on a life of its own to bless and grow in them.

In addition to your blog's being profound in many things, you put a big smile on my face with the gecko illustration. I am grateful for the little parts of your lives that we are privy to thru your blogs.
I love you. Lene