Saturday, November 21, 2009

Cedars Open Studios Tour


A Saturday night for me almost never consists of anything more than hanging out at my house - especially when I have the kids for the weekend. My best friend, Missy, and her boyfriend, Brad, invite me to go to a lot of different art type functions with them. I have a tendancy to have to decline. They went to this last year and being such good friends, they never seem to count me out even though I have turned them down way more times than anyone ever should.

I have parent guilt. I am working through that. I made great progress on the moving pile yesterday so I felt like the kids would be ok with me going out midafternoon and getting home later that evening. Why do I feel the need to justify to my kids? I don't know. Maybe it's because I don't have anyone else to justify to...maybe, because for so many years, I had to justify why I wanted "me" time, maybe it's just a really bad habit I need to get over, or maybe it's respect for my kids. I don't want them to think I ditch them for other people any chance I get like someone else in their life that I know.

Oh, but I digress. The above picture is from the first art studio we visited. There was one artist who likes to put these little tiny people on massive art pieces. I found it extremely facinating. They remind me of things that Michael used to play with many years ago. There was one piece hanging in the middle of the room that was probably 15 mason jars with this wire inside and these little people sitting on the wires. It hung like a mobile. I wanted to take it home with me. I am sure I would always be thinking in the back of my mind - "what if those people were real and we were keeping them in jars. They are just looking out at my world." Yes, I have abstract thoughts.


This is the full piece from the top picture. There were five along this one wall and the one mobile hanging in the middle of the room. There are probably ten different people or couples all over the wires hanging down from the tree.


This piece was very interesting. If you look very close at the picture, it's a huge dollar bill that is covered in various candies. The only one I can tell you I remember for sure are the Milk Duds in the middle. Someone comes up with ideas like this. It's amazing the patience people have to do things like that.


This was definitely my favorite piece from this studio. I love sunflowers and this just really was so much more beautiful in person than this pictures makes it out to be. It was taken with my phone...sorry for the light issues. The flowers are all rolled up corrigated cardboard. There were several other pieces using the rolled up cardboard strips, but this one definitely stood out. Makes me wish I had a place and the money where I could buy these type things and display them. But I don't. I just get to go walk around and look at them and drink free beer and eat their snacks. They are just glad to have people come and "ooooo" and "ahhhh" over the things they have passion about.
Pin It!

No comments: