Monday, October 19, 2009

I Like To Read


One thing I try my hardest to find time for is reading. I don't do as well as I used to. It's funny...when the kids were little I read a lot more. I suppose it's because they had nap time and I was a stay-at-home mom then. There is not always enough time in the day to just do things for me, as hard as I try, because my main focus is my kids.

I just finished a really good book that I thought I should share with whoever it is that reads my blog. It's called "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein. I went to a book club a few months ago thinking that I would actually participate and go back to discuss the book we chose. I didn't. The premise of the meeting was to bring a book or two that you thought the group could would like to read. The group was recommended to me by my good friend, Susan. She found this website called Meetup.com. They have all kinds of groups. Anything that you can think of they have it on here. I had agreed to go with her to a few things and continually backed out so I decided to "un-join" the group as I was sure I would get an email telling me they took me out anyway.

The one group I did go to was the book club group. I didn't know anyone but Susan and the other women...well, I just didn't really feel like it was a group of women that I would "hang out" with...maybe I am just not as social as I would like to believe. Anyway, we all went around and shared the books that we brought and then we were all supposed to vote on a book. Keep in mind there are about 20 woman all who just LOVE the book they brought. The leader of the group decided to have us all draw a number and then took a vote or something...we ended up "deciding" on a book called "Shopgirl" by Steve Martin (yes the actor and yes it is a movie). I like to buy books that I can later share with my kids - the ones that like to read. This one I am not sure that I will offer to Alyssa to read just yet.

Wow, I just went WAY off the beaten path of my blog...one of the books that was introduced was "The Art of Racing in the Rain". When Susan and I left the meeting, we went immediately across to Borders to look for the book that we were assigned to read. There was only one copy and she reads very fast, so she took the book home and read it while I read something else. While we were there, we just looked around for a few of the other books at the meeting that looked interesting. As soon as we had walked in, one of the employees asked us if we would like a copy of the before mentioned book. I thought, sure, I love to have a good book on hand. So, I took it along with a couple of other books, one for me and one for Alyssa that she needed for school.

If you have ever wondered what your animal is thinking, this would be a good book for you. The basis of the story is that the main character, Denny, is a race car driver. He gets a puppy one day, Enzo. The story is told by Enzo, the dog. You read about their life together through the eyes of a dog that wants to be a man. There are ups and downs and happy and sad times, but in the end, it is a very sweet book and an easy read. It's one of those books that you could wake up in the morning wondering, "What is Enzo up to today?"
Pin It!

No comments: