Saturday, August 29, 2009

What A Better Day!


My Saturday without the kids usually consists of sleeping in and mulling around the house, catching up on my DVR recordings. The new team I am on at work is a very social group, and I love it. This morning they had a breakfast planned. All of them live in Dallas, but I was happy to drive 30 minutes to spend time with them. The drive isn't bad when you know there isn't going to be traffic. There are ten of us on the team, but only five at breakfast. I picked up Jordan first. He needed to drop his car off for a tune up. While I was waiting for him to come back to the car, Andrea called to say she had just picked Vicky up and thought maybe we could just all go together. The place we were going did not have a large parking lot and was certain to be packed on a Saturday morning. Now, I'm really glad she did. It was a really good bonding experience for all of us.

We had breakfast at Lucky's Cafe on Oak Lawn. If you know anything about Dallas, Oak Lawn is in what we call the "gayborhood". To me, this just means it's definitely going to be much more lively than any place I could go in Bedford - that's for sure. As soon as we walked in the door, I saw a Director (and is partner) that was let go from Hilton at the same time I was. He has taken this opportunity to just travel and enjoy not having to work. Maybe it's just me, but it's so nice to just feel apart and important. On top of that, it was a really beautiful day in Texas, which is not normal for August.

After breakfast, Scott took us on a tour of that part of Dallas. He grew up around there and the people I was riding with were either from Memphis or Beverly Hills and didn't know where much, if anything, was just yet. Even though I grew up in Texas, I am not familiar with Dallas, so it was just as exciting for me. We took a drive through the SMU campus and down by Turtle Creek. I am definitely going to get the kids and go down there to take some family pictures soon. It is absolutely gorgeous!

When I got home, I finished up the laundry that I had started - getting ready to go dry everything at the laundry, which I hadn't been to in months. Michael was here so I had him go with me. It always goes faster when you have someone to help you fold. I was also cleaning out my closet, which has become the catch-all for things I think I need. Why do I have a 25 year old typewriter and a 19 year old camcorder that is as larger as a VCR player? The typewriter is out of ribbon, which I'm not sure you can even get anymore and the camcorder doesn't work unless you have it plugged in. Ridiculous.

When all of that was done, I got ready to go to Missy and Brad to just spend a night with them and a couple of their friends. It's always fun to go over there. I should do that more often. All in all, it was a really good day.
Pin It!

No comments: