Sunday, August 23, 2009

Facebook and the LD Bell Band


Myspace was always my thing - until I met Facebook. At first, I didn't like it at all. Now, I have a facination with it (Thank you, Andy). I have reconnected with so many people from high school and keep up with friends from work. I have even allowed two of my children (the two that have a Facebook) and a few of their friends to "friend" me against my better judgement. This was going to be my "grown up" friends social networking site. Thankfully, it still is. It has allowed me to brag a lot about my kids and, this time of year, announce ever time the band does anything at all. This said...

Last night was the first community performance for the LD Bell Band this year. They even made an event page so that I could let all of my high school friends in this area known when and where it was going to be. In years past, I would go up to the stadium a few nights a week. Now I make it a point to go up on Saturday night. They work on so much during the week and Saturday it all comes together. With Ben living at his dad's, he has had to find a ride to and from practice so he only "needs" me to take him and pick him up on my weekends - which I am happy to do!

Several friends from church and high school showed up to support the kids and enjoy what I enjoy all the time. It's fun to watch someone who hasn't seen the band in a long time or at all but has marching experience. They are always amazed at how hard the routine is compared to what we did in the 80's. As a parent (forgive me if I've said this before) it makes me so proud to see my children marching, playing on the worship team, playing a sport - whatever it is, they try so hard at what they do. I just don't understand those parents who don't see the importance of being there to support your child, no matter what it is they are participating in. Even if you don't "get" the function, be it football, band, golf - if you want your child to know you are proud of them, be there for them. That will usually require extra time out of your super-busy day, but these are your children. They need to know you love them.

I had a friend come up to me at church this morning. She is a teacher and will be starting back to school on Monday. She was telling me how overwhelmed she is feeling, "but" she says, "when I start to feel this way, I just think about you. I know if you can do it, I can do it." That makes me feel so happy. It isn't an effort for me to do the things I do for my kids, but I do get overwhelmed and I have to say no, or not right now. Life goes on and things sometimes just have to be passed up. But this is another subject for another day.
Pin It!

1 comment:

Andy said...

Good to see you blogging again. The summer slump is over and there will be much more going on in the fall. And your welcome. Facebook is better than MySpace. Glad to have brought you to the dark side.