Monday, July 13, 2009

Sacrifices of a Parent


Friday night was my "date" night with Jonathan. It almost got messed up because his dad was making family plans to go see the same movie we had talked about going to see. Thankfully, even though a few tears were unnecessarily shed, we were able to go see....Transformers 2. Yes, I endured this action-packed movie for my little boy. It's what he wanted to go see and so, I went along. We went to Movie Tavern so we could eat and I could have a beer and enjoy watching him watch the movie. Michael was at home when I brought Jonathan back so I could change clothes. He wanted to go see the movie, too, so Jonathan agreed that it would be nice to have Michael with us.

This made me realize the sacrifices parents "should" make for their kids. There are things that my kids want to do that aren't necessarily my "cup of tea' but it's what they want to do. It's not always about me and about what I want to do. If I want to spend time with them, sometimes it has to be on their terms. And that should be ok. Unfortunately, most parents aren't good about that. This also pertains to functions that your kids are involved in. Some people aren't as into the band as others, but if it's a passion of the kid, don't you think you should go and watch the performance, even if it means sitting through an hour or more of other people's kids playing?

Making happy memories for the child seems much more important in the skeem of things. Thinking about other people first, that's what we were all taught growing up. Somehow, when we get older, we all become selfish and only want to do what is comfortable for us. Now please do not take this as though I am patting myself on the back. I am very fortunate that my kids are involved in a lot of the things that I myself like. Therefore, it isn't hard for me to participate, go watch and enjoy being with them. Life is short. If you haven't spent quality time lately with someone you care for, take this opportunity to make plans together. It may be the last chance you get.
Pin It!

1 comment:

Andy said...

I'm glad your kids aren't into chess or cage fighting. Seems logical that you'd go to your kids things. But I know some of the parents of the kids at school aren't into dance and don't go to anything.

When I read the title of this post, I thought you meant that you'd sacrificed the lower part of Jonathan's face. Glad you didn't.