Saturday, July 25, 2009

Birthday Celebrations


A few weeks ago, I decided that I wanted to do something fun for my birthday. Since my divorce (this seems to be my landmark a lot...) I have tried to do fun things for my birthday. I think everyone should. Last year I spend time with my kids, which was fun, but I like adult time too. Karaoke was the name of the game this year. I used to sing in school and I love to sing, love listen to music and sometimes fear I will break out in song at work while I am listening and working.

There is a bar near my house that has been there for a long, long time. I just didn't realize that it did Karaoke. When I googled looking fo a good place near my house, Vino's came up first. All the reviews were really good. They said the food wasn't that great but the Karaoke was a lot of fun. I decided to go see the place and see what the karaoke was like. It was Wednesday night, not a lot of people there, but a very regular crowd. I should have sung, but I didn't. I could tell this would be a perfect place to go, though, and couldn't wait to tell all my friends.



So Friday night I got to Vino's and Missy, Brad and JD were there right after me. They brought me and cake and Missy wrote me a note in her card that brought tears to my eyes. She and I met online through a guy I was dating at the time. We became friends almost immediately and that was over 5 years ago. It is amazing to me that two of my closest friends are women I met online and one of my guys friends I met on a dating website. That's why I love the internet. There are people out there you would never cross paths with if it were not for some of these sites out there.

Pretty soon, the rest of the group showed up and we were figuring out all the Karaoke rules and how to get signed up. I put in to sing "Mustkrat Love" first. I don't have a video of it, but in my head - it was FABULOUS!! We had cake and I opened my gifts and then it was time to throw in the "birthday girl" card. I knew this place was fun and would have a good crowd, I just didn't realize that there would be so many people signing up! We were getting tired of just sitting there and there was only so much you could really talk about when other people were singing. It was really loud in there.


I wanted to sing "Summer Nights" because it was a favorite of mine and I had sung it my senior year in high school, back-up singers and all. Brad was supposed to sing with me but he said it was too high for him. So here I am off to find some random guy to sing with me. There was a guy that was in line to sign up for a song and we got to talking. I heard him sing and though, he's the one!! Off I go to the pool tables to find him. I am not typically a shy person and when I am feeling confident, I am feeling REALLY confident. I'm sure I shocked him when I asked him to sing with me. He just looked at me at first and then I could tell he was thinking too much. "Just do it! Don't think about it!" I said.

It took just a little prodding but I got him to agree to sing with me. I told him I would be back for him when it was close to our turn. I have a video and Brad posted it on YouTube. I don't think you will be able to find it and I am not posting it here. The song went much better in my head, of course, but I can tell you this...I had a blast and cracked up through most of it. My duet partner didn't know when he was supposed to sing so I had to nudge him, but then again, I wasn't sure when he was supposed to sing either!

All in all, one of the best birthdays I've had in my adult life. So, thanks to all my friends for coming out and helping me have a great night of fun!
Pin It!

No comments: