Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Memphis Travels and Training


I always thought it would be nice to travel for work...be alone in a hotel room, just relaxing and going at your own pace. Well, I don't think so anymore. I had to travel to Memphis this week to do some training for my new job. The flight was later in the afternooon on Sunday and I didn't get to the hotel until about 9:30pm. I was tired, but wanted to meet up with my friends James and Heather, who were in town for an interview for Hilton. James is from there and wants to move back since he was laid off in Dallas.

They met me at the hotel and before I knew it, it was 11:00 and I was about to fall asleep at the table. I had no idea what time I was expected to be at the office in the morning, so I was planning on doing my usual thing and get there at 8:00 am. I didn't sleep well, which isn't like me in a hotel. I usually sleep like a baby all curled up in the down comforter and pillows. Not so much this night. I think I was probably overtired. There is another group in the hotel that is doing some training at the Corporate office, so I decide I will just ride in with them at 7:45. I get dropped off at the wrong building (there are 4 buildings in the complex) so I walk over to Building A and see if that's where I am supposed to be. Bingo! So I have to get a badge and register for the 3 days that I will be there. They have amazing security there.

No one is there waiting on me. As it turns out, one of my new bosses actually shows up while I am there getting registered. I had never met her before so I didn't recognize her, but Keith (the security guy) introduced me to her. I could tell she wasn't expecting me so early but we had never really discussed it. So, sitting all day watching someone else work is very exhausting work! by 3:00 that afternoon, Jenny was done training me and ready to get back to her own stuff (which I don't blame her for at all) and I was ready to just shut my brain down for the day.

James and Heather came and took me to lunch at Corky's, which is a really great and popular BBQ place there in Memphis. When I got back to the hotel, I walked over to the nearest wine store, got a bottle of wine, got some take out from the Embassy next to the Hampton. I pretty much just went to work and went back to the hotel and crashed, watched TV - Dancing with the Stars - and tried really hard to enjoy the peace and quiet.

I feel like I'm rambling, so I will stop.
Pin It!

No comments: