Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Memorial Day and New Carpet

I just want to start this blog by saying that Ben made 3rd chair 1st Band with the LD Bell Band for 2009-10. We are all so proud of him!! Oh, and I don't have a picture, sorry.

This starts our Memorial Day weekend. We worked a half day on Friday and are off for the weekend and all day on Monday. I got new carpet on Tuesday. I am back dating this because I have been really far behind. I need to catch up. We all started packing up on Sunday to get everything moved out of the bedrooms on Monday. We have needed new carpet so bad since probably right when we moved into the house about 5.5 years ago. Having four kids, two dogs and a cat in the house just made it 10 times worse. We are all so excited about getting fresh, new carpet. I got a great deal from a friend of mine who manages a builder's supply house in Bridgeport. He really hooked me up and I will be forever greatful to him for this.

I am not sure that completely moving is any easier or harder than moving things out so that you have an empty room to work with. I was able to get all of my things out of my rooms, in boxes, and into my closet. My furniture went either out in the dining room or out in the garage. The kids things, furniture and all, went into the den. We didn't really start moving until mid-afternoon on Monday because I was trying to get some of their friends over to help. It didn't take long at all to get it all moved. Then there is the pre-cleaning that seems to need to be done. It doesn't matter how much you vaccum and clean, there is always mysterious stuff behind furniture and under beds. What is that about?

The carpet and padding were brought to the house and neatly put in the garage on Friday. The installers showed up about 9:30 on Tuesday and worked straight through until about 2:45 that afternoon. I felt so SO bad for them having to tear out the carpet upstairs. The cat went through a phase where she was boycotting the cat box and started using a corner of the hallway. Eddie, my older brother, had gone upstairs that morning to check the floor under the carpet in the hallway and we saw that the tack strips were horrible and really needed to be replaced. Not knowing if the installers would do this, he went to Lowe's and picked up some new ones. By the time he got back, the installers had gotten there. I'm not sure who all helped, but the got replaced and all was good.

What a difference new carpet makes! Now we had brand new, nice, carpet all upstairs, down the stairs and in my room and all this stuff to put back on it. I just laid on my carpet for most of the afternoon just enjoying the newness of everything. The kids seem so much happier and much more appreciative of what they have. I am rearranging my room. I have had it the same way for 5+ years and just want to try something new. It feels almost like moving except you don't have to go through all the address changes and it's only three rooms. And the kids are so much older now that they moved all of their stuff to their rooms on their own and set it up the way they wanted. I love my kids getting older! (ok just a few parts of it, but it is nice!!)
Pin It!

No comments: