Saturday, May 30, 2009

Graduation Day 2009


(I know. I don't have one of him alone. Sorry.)

Today my oldest child graduated from high school. I home schooled Michael from Kindergarten through 4th grade. His growth through school has been amazing to watch. He has come so far and I am so proud that he graduated with straight A's and such wonderful musical accomplishments. This day was very bitter sweet for me.

The day started with a lunch for Michael at Abuelo's. His entire family, minus Andy and Fred, were there. I was so happy for him. His aunt and uncle and cousins drove in from New Mexico just for him. Everyone had taken time from their day to honor Michael. We took family pictures, pictures with the cousins, and the kids enjoyed being together. They only get to see each other a few times a year, if that, so it's always nice for them to be together.


We went from lunch to the graduation, which was a nice transition. We had plenty of time to get there and get settled in. The whole family sat together. Uncle Tom had even made up poster boards that spelled out MICHAEL so that when he walked in, he could see where we were. It was so cute when he spotted the sign. You could see his smile all the way up to where we were. He raised his hands and waved. You could just tell he loved it. Anyway, back a little bit, as the kids started walking in, I stood up because I knew I could spot Michael from the back and I didn't want to miss him. Sure enough, as he walked in, I spotted him and as he got to his seat he must have heard the cousins yelling his name, because that's when he turned around and saw the sign.



I can honestly say I wasn't a mess. I did tear up a little bit, but I held it back for the most part. I was just so proud. I guess people just take it for granted that your child will graduate from high school, but not everyone does. And to think of where Michael was about 6 years ago, he has come a very long way to become the man he is today.

He is planning on going to college to first become an EMT, then a Paramedic and eventually become a fireman. He will be doing some ride-alongs with a few EMT's this summer to make sure this is the type of career he can handle. We have a great network of friends and acquaintances that have offered for him to come along. He is looking at cars. He is looking for a good summer job. He is growing up and I am doing my best to let go.

That seems to be the hardest part.
Pin It!

2 comments:

Andy Baker said...

In that top picture, what's her little sash about?

searching for life said...

Ashleigh was in National Honor Society. I hope that Alyssa and Ben will have that plus the ropes for IB. That's MY goal anyway.