Sunday, May 10, 2009

Ask Your Mom


The picture is of a fortune that was found yesterday in Alyssa's fortune cookie. Ironic, to say the least. First it's Mother's Day today. Second, she and I had just had a little "heart to heart" about our relationship.

When the kids were little, it was up to my then husband to be the gift getter for the kids for Mother's Day. I remember hand-made cards that I still have and things from preschool etc, etc. As they got older and my marriage started to crumble, it wasn't so special. I can't remember now if it was my first of second Mother's Day as a single mom, but that weekend visitation fell on his weekend. He asked me if I wanted to switch (because the "papers" state that I can have the kids on Mother's Day and he on Father's Day). "Well, actually no," I said, "because all I ever really wanted on Mother's Day was to be pampered and allowd to sleep in and let you take over and be a dad. Yet, when we tried that you ended up yelling at them so much that I couldn't sleep and ended up getting up anyway. So this year - you take them all weekend and I will get them at 6:00 and have my own Mother's Day then."


It tended to fall that way for a few years. This year they were supposed to be with him too, but because of circumstances I won't go into, they stayed with me. It has turned out to be a wonderful thing. As the kids get older they have more awareness of me and Mother's Day and what the two are all about.

Last night, Ben wanted to take me to dinner "where ever I want to go". Of course, knowing he loves Sushi as much as I do, but hasn't really experienced a Sushi Bar, I suggested MK Sushi. He was so cute! We got there and sat at the bar. He leaned over and said "I only have $80." I assured him we will leave under $80. Pretty much, he had only had a California Roll, so I ordered the Yummi Yummi Roll and the Happy Roll (see pictures below) because they are really just two different versions of a snazzied up California Roll. It was so nice to just be there, talking like adults or sorta maybe like teen-adults? He is very mature for his age and I love talking with him, as I do with all of my kids.

Happy Roll (makes me very happy!)

Yummi Yummi Roll (speaks for itself)


Sunday night, Michael and Ashleigh took her mom and me to dinner at Bucca de Beppo. What a treat that was! The reservations were made late and so we couldn't get in until 8pm, so Michael and I went over to Ashleigh's house and played cards with her parents. They do this every day, every night it makes me jealous. I found out that her dad grew up somewhere up North and in the winter all they could od was play cards, so that's where it came from. I have been before. It's always fun. I want to make it a habit to go spend time with them. I have learned something today. Having children is something I knew I always wanted, but I wasn't REALLY sure why. Now I know. They are fun to be with - most of the time.

Jonathan bought me a necklace and earring set and I just love it. Normally, I am not a necklace wearer because the chain never seems to fit right. But this one I love and I have worn every day. It was a wonderful Mother's Day.

I hope all of the Mothers out there had a wonderful day, too.
Pin It!

1 comment:

Andy Baker said...

Awwww! Happy belated Mother's Day. I'm glad you had a good time. I love the part about setting your ex straight and telling him how he screwed up for years, so now they're in another house.