Thursday, May 21, 2009

9th Grade Awards




This morning I was late to work because Ben had his 9th Grad Awards at school. I had planned my trip to Memphis around this and Baccalaureate, hence the reason I was in at 11:30 last night. (Thanks to my dad and his wife for being willing to pick me up at the airport so late. I was going to take a taxi but I'm really glad I didn't!) Ben wasn't sure what awards he was getting, but he thought it was going to be several. They did them in alphabetical order, of course, so as I sat there watching all of the A-Ni children I startd to figure out what was going on. Now, Ben has always done really well in school. I knew that his GPA was going to be high. He was in several pre-AP classes. He was a favorite of the head band director and has been first chair since 7th grade.

He received the President's Gold Award for a GPA of 4.0 or higher. I am not sure what his is exactly, but it's really good. He also received an award for excellent performance in the Symphonic Band and one for Science. Of course, I am too busy trying to get a picture of him getting his award to actually hear them say what he got. I had to lean over to his dad and ask. I should know better. I wasn't in the front row, not even close to the front. My camera is horrible for moving shots and for distance. I should have just listened or tried to video. That always seems to work well.

Anyway, I am so incredibly proud of him. (I think I say this a lot about my kids, but it's true. I am.) He has always done well and sometimes I get to where I just expect him to do well. I have really tried not to be so expecting and really take note when he does well. It's normal for him, but not normal in general. There weren't very many Presidential Gold Awards handed out and there were only like three band awards given out. His class is probably close to 200, so that's really good! We find out tomorrow what band he made for high school. He is anticipating first band, which is just unheard of for a sophomore, but I know he can do it. He is that good.
Pin It!

No comments: