Thursday, April 2, 2009

One Week Ago

It's been one week since I was notified about my job being eliminated. It was such a hard blow to my ego, I think, more than anything. This is what I have learned over the past week:

This wasn't about me. This was about the company I work for reorganizing and eliminating positions. I wasn't the only one affected. This is an opportunity for me to change jobs and learn more about the hospitality industry. I didn't really realize how much I love my job until last week. I mean, I knew I liked it and for the last two and a half years I have enjoyed my drive in and can't remember a day that I just dreaded going in because of anything in particular. I will miss the people I work directly with the most, but hopefully I will get another job there in the same building or in the other building down the street. We won't loose contact either way, I am sure of that.

So many people, important higher-ups too, have let me know they are supporting me and incredibly encouraged about getting me another job and making sure I am applying for everything I can. My boss is an amazing guy. He hasn't let me forget that I need to get on the applying band wagon, making phone calls and staying on me the entire two days, which I TOTALLY appreciate.

This was just a short update on what's going on since I haven't posted anything in a week. On the other hand, I have some AMAZING pictures of Michael and Alyssa from their band portraits that I will be posting next. I have beautiful kids!
Pin It!

2 comments:

Doni M said...

That's so sad. I've lost my job twice. Some years back I was let go and was on unemployment for nearly two months. I battled a total blow to my self-confidence and it was everything I could muster to beat the pavement and find work again. But I did. (Ended up in Lake Worth for a while before finding a really good company in Grand Prairie.)

Last year the Keller printshop where I worked for closed. We were given warning though. I wanted to go back to the Grand Prairie business, but they weren't hiring (and still aren't). But they did help me out by giving references and doing a bit of networking for me. Well, I did get hired by a printshop in Lewisville, and was able to start that job before my Keller job ended. So no unemployment this time. (I'm still working in Lewisville.)

But it was stressful, both times. The first time because my confidence was shattered. The second time because of the recession.

Hang in there. It's tough when it happens but it's possible to get through it. Just keep on keeping on. I'll say a prayer for you.

searching for life said...

Thank you, Doni. I have never experienced anything like this before. Your prayers are very welcome and I will keep you posted as to my job opportunities!