Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter Weekend


MAUNDAY THURSDAY
This whole Lent thing is all new to me, but I have learned so much and have truly enjoyed all of the services that we have had at church. Thursday night, the full church choir performed a cantata which was really beautiful. After the fourth song, the congregation was ushered up to the front 24 at a time, 12 at each table at the front by the alter. (I wish I had taken pictures of this. The tables were set up very nice.) We passed around a broken round loaf of bread and a cup of "wine". As you serve the person next to you, you say "This is the body of Christ broken for you and this is the blood of Christ shed for you". At our table there was a little boy of about 4 years old who was the cutest thing. His mom served him and he turned and served an older man standing next to him. The whole service was very nice.

The purpose of Maunday Thursday service was to basically remember the last night that Jesus spent with his disciples, when he took communion with them and told them what was going to happen to him over the next few days. This is something that, in the Baptist church, you acknowledge and read about, but I have never been in a church where you had a service to commemorate that specific event.



GOOD FRIDAY
This is the day that we set aside to remember Christ's sacrifice on the cross for our sins. It reminds me of the movie "Passion of the Christ". I saw that movie three times when it came out at the theater. It was amazing and moving, gory and hard to watch all at the same time. The actual event was so much more worse than they could show in a movie. To think that Jesus went through all of that for each one of us is an overwhelming thought in my head.

Our church had lilies delivered on Good Friday to decorate the alter for Easter Sunday. I was able to go up to the church to help arrange them and pull the pollen from the flowers so that we didn't have people sneezing their heads off on Sunday. Beng off work has provided me a wonderful opportunity to help at the church and participate in functions with the kids that I am not always available for.




EASTER SUNDAY
This picture is my boys, Michael and Benjamin, playing in the Sunday service this morning. I couldn't get a good view of Ben. Every time I tried to take a picture between songs, the french horn player kept raising his horn. So, Ben is on the end. You can barely see his head. I am always so proud of my kids when they perform, especially when my older boys play in church. As you can see, we don't have a huge orchestra, so when they play,they are heard. This Sunday was very special to me because it is the first Easter I have spent in church since my divorce. God has been so good to me and my family and to be in church to celebrate his resurrection was wonderful. I enjoy my church anyway. Today was a day of Easter music and there were a couple that reminded me of the Baptist church that we went to when I was growing up. The main one that comes to mind is "He Lives". We used to sing it at the end of service as the last hymn before they let us go home. I was always happy to sing it because I could never get out of there fast enough. I am so glad I am not that way today.

The kids spent the weekend with their dad. Michael treated his girlfriend to a day of celebrating her birthday, which is tomorrow, and I had a real live date on Saturday night! I almost forgot what that was like. He is a nice guy that I have actually known for about 4 years, maybe a little more. I anticipate a second date. We are going to lunch tomorrow like we used to before I started in sales at the hotel. We will see what comes out of that. All in all - it was a good weeend! And the weather is beautiful.
Pin It!

No comments: