Thursday, March 12, 2009

Rainy, Rainy Week


It has been gloomy all week and finally started raining Wednesday very early in the morning. The thunderstorms were so loud when this all started and I'm not really sure that it has completely stopped raining since then. I am sure it must have but the last two mornings my commute to work has been very wet. I don't like driving in the rain much. I feel very out of control on the highway.

I like the rain just wish I could be home in bed not doing anything but listening to the raindrops fall. The kids haven't been doing their normal routine because of the rain, which just puts a damper on everything. It is so interesting to me to hear other people's perspective on rain. It would definitely depend on what part of the country you live in. For instance, when I was in NYC this summer, I was caught in a torrential downpour with no way out until I finally made it back to the hotel. For me, that was absolutely no fun at all. It had already been a long day, and I was tired as it was. I was completely soaked all the way through my clothes, so much so that they were still wet when I packed my suitcase to leave the next day.

In Texas, you don't have to deal with things like being caught in the rain. My brother, Andy, lives in Amsterdam and rides a bike, walks and occassionally takes the metro around. He has "rain gear" that he wears when he rides his bike. I suppose with his 14+ years in New York City and his 5 years in Amsterdam, he has gotten used to being outside in the rain. I can only hope that I would get used to it as well.

I had to get out of my car to get gas this morning and it was under covering and I hated it. I am almost never out in the elements during the work week. I get in my car that is in the garage. I get out of my car in the parking garage that is underground. I hardly ever wear a coat unless I think I might be going outside during the day. I eat in the deli in the building so I literally never get out in the elements. Ok, maybe when I pick Jonathan up from school, but other than that...

Wow, just writing that makes me think I would be a mess in a disaster! I honestly don't mind getting wet and dirty and all that if I am prepared prior to the actually event. Getting stuck out in the rain in nice clothes or mowing the lawn just after I had a shower and put on nice, clean clothes - that is different.
Pin It!

No comments: