Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Prime Real Estate and I'm not talking Houses


For about a year and a half now I have been washing laundry at the house and then taking everything, usually four baskets, to the laundromat to dry. Some would see this as a pain, and while it has been sometimes, I have actually come to enjoy it. It gets me out of the house when many times I would just sit there and watch TV and get nothing much done.

It is very interesting to watch people. There have been many story opportunities that I have not shared, that I remember. There are certainly times that are better than others to go, especially when you are just drying. Sunday afternoon - bad. Tuesday early evening - great! When you walk in and don't hear a single dryer going, you know you are gonna have a great night. The picture shows two of my dryers, corner slot right by the window AND a folding table. There was a broken one in between my four dryers, but that's normal. These dryers are actually stacked on top of each other, which is what I like most about this place. They have a lot of washers and dryers and they have an attendant that keeps it clean.

What is funny to me is to see people and their reactions to each other. For instance, yesterday I walked in and there was one lady folding clothes and another couple putting their wet clothes from the washer into the dryer. Apparently, I took their dryers because I got a look when she came over with wet clothes. It's funny how people (myself included) are so protective of certain dryers and folding tables.It's like you map out the plan when you get there. You are going to use these washing machines that are close to these dryers and it will make it all so much easier. What is really easy is just going when there is no one else there.

I tend to want to get a table right next to the dryers even though there are other ones on the other end of the isle. Besides, people are always going past you near the dryers and not so much at the other end so you would think those would be more desired. I have done both. If there are a lot of people there it really doesn't matter either way. You are gonna get in someones way. Someone is gonna think the laundromat is just for them and they will be irritated that all these other people are there at the same time.



Then there are the random kids that come in with people. Most of the time they are just allowed to run free screaming all the time and the parents (or grandparents sometimes) just don't care. As you can see, there are video games to occupy your time and candy machines for the kids to beg quarters for. I don't do video games or get candy. I like to read a book in my car or watch the TV. Last night they had President Obama on. I chose to go when he was speaking because I wanted to devote my TV time last night to the "Dancing with the Stars" dance off. I love this season. It's the best one in a long time! I have again digressed to my TV watching so I am going to go now. I will be back at the laundromat this weekend. Joy!
Pin It!

2 comments:

Andy Baker said...

In NYC, I was fortunate enough to have two laundromats on my street. It really was a whole event for me to do laudry. I enjoyed it. I'm a really good folder. I timed things beautifully and I knew exactly how everything should be done. You're not back within a few minutes of your dryer going off? Your clothes are in the basket! Ahh! Good times.

searching for life said...

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the time I did laundry at my second apartment complex and left the clothes in the washer too long...I came back and they were on the floor. I was SO mad. Now I am very paranoid about leaving. I am surprised that people do it all the time though.