Thursday, February 19, 2009

My Baby is 18 years old Today


How did this happen? How is it that I became a mom 18 years ago today and my baby, my sweet little baby boy, is a grown man? Just typing this makes me want to cry.

I wanted to be a mom since I was a little girl - 5 years old probably. All I ever thought about was being a mom. And I wanted a boy first. I only had brothers so I felt like I knew how to deal with boys. I have always had a hard time with girls in general. So, about a year plus a couple of months after I got married, I became pregnant with my first child. I was so excited and careful that I quit drinking sodas in general. (I didn't do this with the other ones.) I chose a doctor that my friend recommended. Dr. Don Smith in Fort Worth.

The pregnancy was pretty uneventful, until the last few months. Long story short - I got toximia and Michael ended up being born on February 19 instead of the original due date of March 10, 1991. He was born C-section because they couldn't force labor. He was 6lbs 4ozs. and 18 inches long. That was big for a premi-baby. He was such a sweet baby. I think he was so easy because I was so sure about my motherhood. I felt completely relaxed around him. When he was 8 weeks old, we let him cry himself back to sleep. It took 3-4 nights, but after that he slept through the night unless he was sick.

I remember when he was about 7 years old, I thought to myself, where is the book that talkes about "What to Expect with your 7 year old". For whatever reason, he was just a litte more difficult during that time. He has proven to be a good big brother to his sister and brother's and makes me proud with all of his accomplishments. High school has been extremely helpful for him - made him want to do better in his academics (I credit this to band) and shown him the things that he is really good at.


I am very proud of all of my kids. They each have a special place in my heart. Please don't get the impression that I love one more than the other. They are all different individuals and I love them all the same. Watching them grow into adults and seeing what great people they are is just such an amazing process.
Pin It!

1 comment:

Andy Baker said...

I can vouch for that lifelong desire to be a mother. My goodness but you look like you're about twelve years old in that bottom picture. Happy Birthday to Michael!