Friday, January 9, 2009

NewYear's Resolution #2


I am a Diet Coke addict. There, I admit it. I wake up every morning and instead of going for coffee like most people, I get a can of Diet Coke out of my refrigerator and gulp away. If there isn't one, I will either get in my car and drive to Sonic, or be pissy until I get ready and can go somewhere to get one.

It doesn't matter to me about the reports of what the sweeter will do to my brain or that there could be rat feces on the top or any of that. I drink them every morning of my life. There have been a few times in my life where I willing stopped drinking them. The first time was when I found out I was pregnant with Michael. I stopped for the whole pregnancy. I hate Sprite to this day (unless there is some vodka or gin in there - then I'm happy). All of the other pregnancies I drank it with no guilt whatsoever.

The second time I stopped was when I was on a weight loss kick. I would have just the one in the morning and then drink a gallon of water the rest of the day. I don't know if it helped, but I did loose a lot of weight and I felt better. It's not that I mind water, because I don't. I actually like it, especially when it's hot outside and the water is super cold. I have to drink it cold - REALLY cold.

I am going to the doctor today. I have had a headache off and on for a few weeks. I think it may be inpart to all the Diet Coke I have been consuming. It has been an extrodinary amount. I don't know why it's been more, but it has been. When I went to give blood a couple of weeks ago, my blood pressure was up and I think it had to do with the amount of DC I was drinking. I know it's not good for me. I honestly know, too, that I can stop. I just need to make the choice in my head. I haven't been feeling really well for a while so this is where I am going to start. My second New Year's Resolution is to cut WAY back on the Diet Cokes. I think one a day would be sufficient. Just something to help me wake up.
Pin It!

2 comments:

Andy Baker said...

I decided last night that I drink too much coffee - and I don't drink near as much as I did when I was in NYC. So I said three a day - and these are little sissy European cups. The rest of the day I drink green tea - as much as I want. Sorry to hear about your headaches. Feel better.

Doni M said...

I don't either drink coffee or diet coke, but I have a nasty craving for Barq's Root Beer (which, unlike most root beers, DOES have caffeine), especially in the form of a Sonic Route 44.

I had succeeded in giving up ALL caffeine (including chocolate) altogether right before Easter two years ago. It took nine days for the withdrawal to completely subside. (Day 2 was the worst, with a headache that no pain killer could alleviate.) But once that was done, I started feeling better and healthier, and I was eating better overall as well.

However, about seven months later, I bought me a Barq's, and within a couple of weeks I was back off the wagon.

I want to make another attempt to give up caffeine all over again, then perhaps I can get up to eight months this time.