Friday, January 16, 2009

New Year's Resolution #3


Recycling. This is not an easy thing for me. I am so used to just throwing things in the trash can and so are my kids. But seeing all the recycling stuff that we throw away every day is making me want to be a better person and help recycle what I can. My brother, Eddie, seems to be an expert at it, so maybe I will just collect stuff and give it to him to sort and put out on Mondays (see I DO know when recycle day is).

I am starting with plastics and paper boxes and will move on to other plastics like plastic bags and stuff. A couple of months ago I got one of those bags from the grocery store that is a replacement for plastic bags, then I got two more. They are now in my car. I just need to remember to take them in the store with me. I have tried for a while not to under load my bags, now I will just not get them that often. I do use them for trashcan liners, so I need them every now and then. I will move up to paper recycling in time - baby steps.

On a side note: my brother, Andy, lives in Amsterdam (as you know if you keep up with my blog) and the interesting thing there is there are NO plastic bags at the grocery store. If you go, you must have one of their reusable bags. It would be so much easier if they would do that here in America. Because the majority of the people there walk or ride their bikes, they also have separate trash cans every couple of blocks for you to place your recyclable trash in. The bags they offer here are only $1. I am not really sure why more people don't use them. I hardly ever see anyone using them. Although, that could be because you can bring your plastic bags back to the store to be recycled, which does help.

I remember about 10 years ago when we lived in Watauga and the whole recycle thing started, we heard rumors like they wouldn't pick up your regular trash if they could see recyclables in the bag (we would use black bags) or that you had to separate everything before they would take it. I don't know how much of that was true but now you just throw it in the recycle bucket and they dump it in the truck.

It can't get much easier. I just need to train the kids and myself to do it.
"SAVE THE PLANET" - Jonathan Nobles.
Pin It!

No comments: