Thursday, January 29, 2009

"Mommy, do you believe in global warming?"


This was the question asked of me the other day by my ten year old son. "Why, yes, of course I do sweety. Why do you ask?" Turns out that this has been a topic of discussion in his classroom and I guess he brought it up to his dad over the weekend and his dad completely thinks it's mosh and that it's just the governments way of getting more money out of us. Surprised? Not really. Mr. Negative rarely agrees with anyone's thoughts but his own. Not being a pessimist, just realistic.

I am not very familiar with all the Global Warning stuff and certainly need to educate myself more, but the fact that my ten year old brought it up means something to me. I explained to him that that's why I have started recycling. We need to take care of this planet. He started talking about the trees and how the trees give us oxygen and if we keep taking down all the trees we will run out of oxygen and die. What a small but profound statement. That is just a small portion of what is going on. There are the landfills that are full of trash and things that were made that do not recycle themselves and are of no benefit to anyone else.

I never saw the movie with Al Gore - "An Inconvenient Truth" that talked about global warming, but I am going to rent it this weekend. This ties in with my 3rd New Year's Resolution, which is going fairly well, by the way. I just need to get a more convenient systems down that the kids will adhere to as well so that I don't have to keep digging through the garbage.

At work, we have separate trash can liners. I actually didn't even realize this (mainly because I delete certain mass emails that come from the building management office) but the liners at our desk are "clear" for recyclables. The liners in the break rooms are for garbage. So, if you eat at your desk, make sure that you don't throw away your food in the recycle cans. That could be bad. I am going to check into something that will fit in my cabinet to separate recycle from just plain garbage. I bet that there will be lots more recycle than we think.
Pin It!

1 comment:

Andy Baker said...

I am so glad that you're no longer living under the influence of the Dark Side. Of course Global Warming is real. We bought that DVD years ago. I'll send it to you if you haven't already seen it. I'm about to mail a few things any way.