Monday, January 19, 2009

Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday



Today is Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. It's the day America's honor a great man who started a freedom movement and would be so proud of us now that we have, as a nation, elected Barack Obama - the first black president. How ironic is it that we are inaugurating our first black president the day after we honor Martin Luther King, Jr.?

Growing up in my house was like growing up in the whitest possible environment you could imagine. My father would probably tell you that he isn't prejudice, but I feel differently. Maybe he wouldn't use the "N" but there was, in my memory, an air about him when it came to people of color. We didn't go to church with any black people. We didn't go to school with any - in fact, I think there were three in my jr. high and maybe five in my high school. My children are in the same school district that I was and there is a much more diverse ethnicity in their schools today and for that I am very thankful.

My father most likely came by his prejudices naturally because of where he was raised and by whom he was raised. I believe that he has pretty much overcome all of that, but if one of my children were dating someone of another race, I wonder what he would say. We don't talk right now so I don't know. I have always told my children that I want them to have someone that loves them unconditionally. I don't care if they are brown, yellow, purple or orange, just make sure they treat you well and have a relationship with Christ. That is really most important.

Today is a day we have off work and school. It is a day filled with looking back at where we were, the great life of Martin Luther King, Jr. and where we are today. I have been watching TV all day hoping to learn something about this man that I have not already heard. As I am watching TV, it seems to be more about the inauguration, but then again, I just got up. I am looking forward to a very relaxing day.
Pin It!

1 comment:

Andy Baker said...

Well, I worked the whole day. I tried to do a lesson on MLK and the progression of events and laws that led to where we are now. It fells flat, but I learned a lot. (It was a much easier sell in the ghettos of Brooklyn.)