Thursday, December 18, 2008

Extreme Makeover Home Edition


On Monday, December 15, I had the priviledge to help with the Extreme Makeover Home Edition that was being done in Keller, TX. Hilton sponsored part of the show, so we had an opportunity to help in the food service tent. It was a very rewarding experience even though I don't feel like I did much of anything. When we got there it was 11:30 and about time for lunch to be served to all of the workers. The weather here in Texas is always very unpredictable. Sunday it was beautiful and 75 degrees. Monday it was freezing with strong winds and I don't think it got up to 40 degrees the whole day. In fact, I'm pretty sure it got colder.

The people that were working on the finishing touches on the house would come in and be so cold that they couldn't get the plates apart. If all I did was help them get a plate and utensils they were happy. They had a nice warm meal and a hot drink to warm up. I didn't go inside the house, but from the outside it was beautiful. There were people standing outside from early in the morning until mid-afternoon when the family finally got home waiting in the spectators area. We got to come out of the tent and watch from the side. We were fortunate enough to be at the house when they brought the family home. Even though the show is a big production, the family really doesn't see the house until they move the bus. It was very moving to see the mom's reaction when she opened the front door and saw the inside for the first time. I can't wait to see it on TV. I think it's going to be on in late February.

The family was sent to Hawaii the Monday before so that they could rebuild the house. The story behind the family is on this link. They are a very deserving family and were so appreciative. The mom is a professional photographer and she takes pictures of premi babies in the NICU, some who will never go home they are so sick. She gives the pictures to the family free of charge. Last summer their house was flooded and the insurance company wouldn't rebuild it unless they moved the house a foot higher. They didn't have the money to do that and have been basically homeless ever since. The dad is a project leader for Habitat for Humanity and was building houses for others while he had no home of his own.

If you ever have the opportunity to do something like this, take it. I wish I had volunteered for more time. If I ever get to do this again, I will.

Enjoy the pictures!
Pin It!

No comments: