Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas 2008


Today is Christmas. I am alone right now, but the good news is the kids are coming home in a few hours instead of tomorrow. I spent the night at the Hilton Southlake thanks to my Director of Sales friend, Renee, where they upgraded me to a suite and had a nice cheese, cracker and fruit tray with a bottle of champagne sent to my room. I also had access to the concierge lounge which served a nice hot (FREE!!) breakfast and had all the Diet Coke an addict could ask for!

This year has been great for our family. We have all grown a little in size but a lot in our faith. The kids had been going to their own churches for quite a while...Michael and Ben to the Methodist church down the street and Alyssa to the Baptist church where I grew up. It was refreshing to me as their mother to see them making that choice on their own and not going because they were "forced" to like it was when I was growing up. In June, Michael went to youth camp - Newbreed - and came home a changed young man. He made a more firm commitment to Christ, which set me on a path I never thought would come. I went that next Sunday to see him perform the skit the youth performed at camp. Ben had been asking me for some time to come to church with them, but it wasn't until now that I felt God telling me this was where He wanted me and my family. Over the next four weeks, I had one experience after another that just confirmed that I was to join the church. It had been so many years since I had even been a member of a church that it felt odd to even be thinking about it.

The kids and I all joined the church on my 41st birthday. I had Alyssa come with us because I wanted us all there, but she is still going to the Baptist church, which is perfectly fine with me. It was such a joy to stand with all of my children in front of the church and feel so much love. Through everything, God has never left my side. He has always been and will always be there for us. I love my church and if you ever get the chance, you should come here Pastor Lynn speak. He is a wonderful teacher.

Now for the individual account of what each of us has been up to in 2008:

Michael is a Senior at LD Bell High School. He is taking the last of his classes and is in the Jazz Band. He also participated in the marching band "Quest" this year, for the last time. He has done very well in his classes since starting high school. Michael will graduate at the end of May, 2009. His college plans are to go to the local community college to get his basics out of the way and then look at getting in at UNT for studies in Music. Nothing is specific but it will all get worked out in time.

Alyssa started high school this year and participated with the LD Bell Marching Band. She has done very well taking several Advanced Placement class and has applied for the International Baccalaureate program next year. She is driving on a permit and will get her license in April (hopefully) when she turns 16. She has become quite the young woman and certainly takes after her mom!

Benjamin is in 9th grade at Bedford Jr. High. You may have already read much of the update from him in Band News as of Late, but he is coming right along in that area. He is looking forward to high school and marching band next year, but for now, he is in pre-Advanced Placement classes that are helping to prepare him for high school. He is currently living with his dad, but I believe that is short lived. I am ready to have him back home myself!

Jonathan is growing like a weed, getting taller every day. He is in the 4th grade at Bedford Heights Elementary and in the PEAK class there. He enjoys playing games on his XBox and that's about it! He is definitely the baby of the family. We can all see that he is growing up and we are encouraging that as much as possible. I love how much he loves me and still sees me as his mommy.

I am still working for Hilton Hotels Corporate office and love my job. We have undergone a buy out and so far I still have my job. We should know more by February, but I feel certain I will be kept on in one form or another. I am a valued and appreciated employee. The kids and I are still living next to mom. As she gets older it has become a very important thing that we are here for her. We have Baby, Tiny, Lucy and Charlotte (the Spiny Mouse). We are all very happy and have come along way in the last five years. We are truly blessed. We all wish for you an extrodinary 2009.

The Nobles Family
Pin It!

No comments: