Friday, November 21, 2008

Word of the Day - non sequitur

I have decided to come up with a new form of blogging since band is over and my life is not all THAT exciting. I am going to do a "Word of the Day" and see if I can relate it to my life - probably more exciting for me than anyone else!

non sequitur • \NAHN-SEK-wuh-ter\ • noun
1 : an inference that does not follow from the premises
*2 : a statement (as a response) that does not follow logically from or is not clearly related to anything previously said
Example Sentence:
The professor's lecture was a jumble of non sequiturs and irrelevant observations.

Did you know?
In Latin, "non sequitur" means "it does not follow." The phrase was borrowed into English in the 1500s by people who made a formal study of logic. For them it meant a conclusion that does not follow from the statements that lead to it. But we now use "non sequitur" for any kind of statement that seems to come out of the blue. The Latin verb "sequi" ("to follow") has actually led the way for a number of English words. A "sequel" follows the original novel, film, or television show. Someone "obsequious" follows another about, flattering and fawning. And an action is often followed by its "consequence."

So, non sequitur/sequel/consequence - that's what I'm going with. I am in the sequel of my life. It does not follow my past relationships at all. I am with a man who is loving and very attentive, things I did not have growing up or during my marriage. My children have a man in their life who is a positive influence, who loves life and wakes up happy every day. Now THAT is non sequitur to what we are normally like. None of us wakes up happy, except maybe Jonathan, and it usually takes him a few minutes to wake up. It has been an interesting two months with band going fast and strong and then suddenly there is nothing - which is a good thing.





My hope and prayer for my children is that the consequence of my divorce and relationship following will be an example of how to love and how not to love. As much as my parents may hate to accept it, they did not have a loving relationship and were not a good example to their children of how to have a good marriage. I want to break the cycle of bad relationships and destructive behavior that plagues families all over the world. I believe that it has made me a better parent, a more loving and open person for those who love me and accept me unconditionally. Allow those you love to be who they are. Don't put expectations on people. Jesus accepts us unconditionally without judgement. In the spirit of the holiday season, learn to love and forgive, accept the mistakes you have made and move on in the best way you know how. THAT is very non sequitur to the way most of us live our lives.
Pin It!

1 comment:

Doni M said...

I stumbled onto your blog and noticed it because you're in Bedford, Texas and that's where I also live.

Anyway, after reading some of your posts, I think you DO have a very exciting life, and it's had both joys and hurts, But it appears that you've have learned much and grown much from your experience.

I'll say a prayer for you and your family. Hang in there!